Wondering why is your BT Sport not working with VPN outside the UK? BT Sport is not working with your VPN since you are attempting to access it from a geo-blocked territory (outside of the UK), and the website is aware of it. However, a superior and reliable VPN like ExpressVPN can resolve your issue!
BT Sport is a wonderful sports television channel mainly featuring in Ireland and the United Kingdom. The platform first launched on 1 August 2013 and is owned by Warner Bros. Discovery Sports Europe and BT Group. BT Sport is the home of over 50 premier league games and lets its users watch live matches of boxing, football, rugby union, UFC MotoGP, and much more. Watch all your favourite sports and enjoy the latest events. BT Sport is, in fact, quite the perfect streaming platform for all sports lovers.
However, BT Sport outside UK is not available due to geo-restrictions. Therefore, you may not be able to use it. A VPN can help you in this situation, but what if your BT Sport not working with VPN too? Well, in that case, you will need to carry out certain fixes to get it working. This guide is all about that. So, without wasting any more time, let’s jump right in and find them out!
Why BT Sport Not Working With The VPN? [Expected Reasons]
Your BT Sport may not be working with a VPN, and the reason for this error is that the streaming service blocks your access. Its website has a tracker that is capable of identifying any viewer locations using your IP (Internet Protocol) address that your local internet service provider provides.
In fact, sometimes, even if you use a VPN and try playing the geo-blocked content of BT Sport by changing your IP address, your access will be blocked. This can happen because BT Sport will be able to detect your VPN and immediately lock you out. After which, it may show you the following HTTP Proxy error:
“Your device’s Internet connection is using an HTTP proxy which prevents playing your video. Please close or disable any proxy programs and try again.”
This means that the IP address or VPN server that you’re connected with has been blacklisted by BT Sport. Or, the VPN you are using is not reliable enough and is leaking your actual IP address.
How to Fix BT Sport VPN Proxy Error?
You can fix the BT Sport proxy error by carrying out the following simple and easy fixing methods Check out and follow up to fix the error of BT Sport not working with VPN.
1. Preliminary Checks
- Start by closing down any other VPN apps running on your device currently before using your BT Sport VPN.
- You should also ensure that your connection issues are not because of firewall software or an antivirus program; these programs can sometimes Affect your internet connectivity.
- To use BT Sport, try disabling your firewall software or antivirus and then try to reconnect the VPN. If this seems to help, make the VPN an exception next time before turning on the security software.
- Try disconnecting from your VPN and then accessing the website to ensure you have an active internet connection.
- Link your VPN with a server location that is most convenient for you. If this helps, it will be clear that the issue was initially with the server location you were connected with.
- Try changing your networks or changing your DNS settings. By connecting to a different network (such as public wifi), you can check whether the problem is with your current internet provider.
2. Get a Premium VPN
Unblocking the content library of BT Sport is not a breeze. A VPN needs to have fast servers and strong encryption to be able to surpass the geo-restricting measures of BT Sport without getting into any serious trouble making sure that you can stream content hassle freely in any region you want. Therefore, you will need the best, most reliable, and most trusted VPN that does not give you any proxy error.
Following are the steps to bypass the VPN block issue of BT Sport using a premium VPN:
- Get a subscription to a premium VPN (we recommend ExpressVPN as it has high-speed servers).
- Download and install this VPN app.
- Once installed, open the VPN app and then, from the lists, connect to servers depending on the area you are trying to unblock.
- Now, visit the BT Sport website and stream it without receiving any proxy error.
3. Change the VPN Server
If your VPN and BT Sport were working fine but suddenly started acting and stopped working, then try to switch your server to a different one in the same region. As we stated earlier, BT Sport blacklists the VPN servers. So, possibly the server you are using may have been blacklisted.
After switching the server, try reopening BT Sport and accessing geo-blocked content. If it plays, then it is the issue of a blacklisted server of your VPN!
4. Clear Cache and Cookies
Sometimes, the accumulated cache and cookies in your browser may cause issues for your VPN to working properly. Simply head to your browser and clear out all the cache from the Settings section, or press “CTRL + SHIFT + DEL” to clear all cache and cookies.
5. Flush DNS
In your device, the local ISP saves your DNS entries. This may cause a problem in developing a connection with your VPN server. Therefore, you will need to clear the cache from your device to flush DNS. Follow the steps below to do this:
- Press the Window key on your keyboard and “R” to open up Run and then type “cmd.”
- Type the query “ipconfig/flushdns,” on Command Prompt.
- Press Enter, and you will get a command prompt message: “Successfully flushed the DNS resolver cache.”
- After this, reconnect your VPN app and start streaming BT Sport.
6. Update VPN App
Generally, most VPN apps on mobile update automatically. But this does not happen on desktops. If your BT Sport VPN is blocked on a desktop, there are chances that you are using an old version of your VPN. Update your VPN app on your desktop manually by heading to the app store and fix the proxy error by installing the latest version.
7. Incorrect System Date and Time
If you are facing issues while accessing geo-blocked content on BT Sport using your VPN, then ensure that your system’s date and time are correct. If you find it incorrect, follow the steps below to correct it:
- On the taskbar, right-click on the ‘Date and Time display.’
- Tap on the ‘Adjust date and time settings’ option.
- Click on the Date and Time tab.
- Turn off the feature that says ‘Set time Automatically.’
- Now, click on the “Change” button under Date and Time. Enter your password if you are asked about it.
- From the Drop-down list, select the current time zone if you need to change the time zone.
- Click on OK.
- Restart your VPN and connect to a server. If you face trouble even after restarting the VPN, then carry out a fresh downloading of your VPN.
8. No IP or Host Not Found
If you are faced with an error that reads, ‘The requested name is valid but does not have an IP address or Host not found,’ make sure that you have an established internet connection. Before going online, if you manually need to activate your DSL connection, then before connecting your VPN, refer to the instructions. Remember that VPN is not a substitute for your internet connection.
If you are still facing the same BT Sport VPN error after reconnecting to your VPN, there are chances that your access to the VPN’s DNS servers is being restricted by your ISP. So, you need to specify the DNS servers manually. The steps to do that are mentioned below.
Activating the Network Connections menu:
- By clicking start, select Run.
- Type in ncpa.cpl and click on OK.
- Locate your standard connection (it can be a wireless network connection or LAN) in the connection window.
- By right-clicking the connection, choose Properties.
The DNS Server Settings
- Double click on IP, aka IPv4 or Internet Protocol.
- Click on Use the following DNS server addresses.
- Now enter the Google DNS server: DNS server to use is 126.96.36.199. The DNS server backup is 188.8.131.52.
- But if the Google DNS server is blocked, then enter and tap on OK to use Neustar DNS Advantage (184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11); enter and choose Level 3 DNS (18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124).
- Flush out any outdated DSN entries after setting the computer to use the DNS server that is provided by your VPN.
Why ExpressVPN is the Best to Fix Proxy Error?
ExpressVPN is the fastest BT Sport VPN with a downloading and uploading speed of 89.42 Mbps and 84.64 Mbps, respectively. It has over 3000 servers in more than 94 countries which allows the users easy access to all the BT Sport content. While testing this VPN, we chose the Dockland server that immediately unblocked the BT Sport content library.
This server is highly recommended. Avoid the London server, though, it gives the users a hard time. This VPN is compatible with various devices, including Android, Apple TV, iOS, Linux, Firestick, Windows. PC, PlayStation, Xbox, Roku, and Smart TV.
Further, it gives 24/7 chat support and a simultaneous connection on 5 devices. It offers strong encryption along with a 30-day money-back guarantee. ExpressVPN has the best subscription offer: GB£5.39/mo (US$6.67/mo) (With a 12-month plan, you can save 49% and get 3 extra months FREE).
Can a Free VPN Fix BT Sport Proxy Error?
If your BT Sport not working with a VPN, you may want to change it. Wondering if a free VPN can is the right choice? Well, according to our testing, it was found that no free VPN provider is capable of fixing the BT Sport proxy error. Such VPNs have very limited servers and resources, which do not provide strong encryption to the IP address of its users.
Due to its lack of servers, a free VPN can easily be detected by BT Sport as several logins from a single IP address occur. As a result, the free VPN’s IP address is blacklisted. It means you will be left again with the BT Sport not working with a VPN issue.
FAQs – BT Sport not working with VPN
Does BT Sport block VPN Outside UK?
Will I get BT Sport proxy error while travelling Outside UK?
How do I get BT Sport to work with VPN Outside UK?
How do I trick my location for BT Sport Video Outside UK?
Is using a VPN to access BT Sport Outside UK legal?
Can I watch BT Sport with a VPN Outside UK
With that, we hope that this guide has helped you resolve the BT Sport not working with a VPN issue that you were facing. BT Sport is a wonderful platform to stream, but with a constant proxy error such as these, it becomes increasingly difficult to enjoy your streaming properly. But now that you know how to resolve BT Sport not working with VPN, we hope that your streaming will once again be as fun as you want it to be!
Once again, our best tip for you regarding this issue will always be to use a premium and reliable VPN like ExpressVPN to get rid of any pesky errors. If you still have any issues, reread the article and try resolving it again. Don’t forget, after the issue is resolved, you will not have to worry about missing out on any major sport event!